Westnut Hazelnut Recipes - www.westnut.com
Fresh Mozzarella and Toasted Hazelnut Salad
Submitted by Dean Thomas
Prep Time: 30 minutes
- 36 fresh mozzarella ciliegine
- (cherry sized, 6 per serving)
- 6 Tbsp. hazelnuts, toasted, peeled, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 oz. Frangelico liqueur
- 12 Gala apples, peeled, cored, julienned
- (2 each serving)
Buttermilk Sage Vinaigrette:
- 3 oz. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. shallots, minced
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. honey
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1 oz. buttermilk
- 1/2 lb. watercress, cleaned
- 12 oven dried apple chips
Begin by cutting each of the fresh mozzarella ciliegine into 6 wedges and place in a medium size mixing bowl with the roughly chopped hazelnuts. In a small saucepan, slowly bring raisins and Frangelico liqueur to a simmer. Allow raisins to plump and soften. Cool for 5 minutes. To the mozzarella and hazelnuts,add raisins with juice, and the julienned apples.
To prepare buttermilk sage vinaigrette, place all ingred- ients into an electric blender and process for 60 seconds to emulsify. Mix into the mozzarella-hazelnut mixture.
For service, place watercress as a bedding onto a chilled plate. Spoon the mozzarella-hazelnut mixture on top, garnish with apple chips, and serve with crusty bread.